Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Stories of Interest



- Anne Koethavong
, the only British female tennis player to crack into the top 100 in the past 7 years, has launched her own website. Who doesn’t have a website these days. There are even plenty of parents launching sites for their juniors in hopes of attracting attention of sponsors, and mimicking the pros. That is not necessarily bad however.

- "I love my job. I love hitting balls, running, jumping, chasing after that ball. I love what I do, so that's what keeps me motivated," said 28 year old Venus Williams in Hong Kong this week, dissipating all questions about retirement plans. She has yet to win the French Open and the Australian and she is in great shape, why stop now!

- "I can't run and I can't play," said Davydenko. "I know that I may not return to the court soon."
He is in a lot of pain due to a left heel injury and has pulled out of several pre-Australian tournaments as well as the first slam of the season. "What's important," he said, "is that I have to be fit as there are still three more Grand Slam tournaments left."


-"I have nothing to do with this," said Peer of the Israeli invasion of Gaza. "I'm Shahar Peer. I came here to play tennis. I know I'm from Israel and I'm proud of my country and that playing tennis is what I'm going to do tomorrow."
Already in the quarters and surrounded by security, Peer was asked by the tournament to withdraw and respect the country’s boycott of Israel, but she didn’t secede to their request. "The sports boycott of Israel is a key part of any boycott campaign because it is much more visible than a trade or investment boycott and can have an important psychological impact," said a tournament representative. "Two days ago, I was crying a bit, actually more than a bit, so it was a hard time for me," she said. "I hope as soon as possible it will end and we will all be happy, because no one wants to be in a war." Peer said she had never previously been the focus of protests and had even been the first Israeli to play in the Muslim country of Qatar. She said the protesters had the right to express their views. "It's their choice and they are choosing what they want to do".


- "This could be a very meaningful season for me," Federer said. "I can equal Pete Sampras' record. I can add another Wimbledon title and this is something that is very dear to me. I can also win my first French Open title, so I am looking forward to my season."
Federer has reportedly been training harder and feeling better and his fans have a lot to look forward to this season, including more great history in the making. "Rafa is my main rival," Federer said. "We have been doing it for so many years and have had great matches." Of course, both Federer and Nadal were beaten by Murray this week.

-IMG, the leading client management company in tennis represents some of the worlds greatest champions, such as Federer, Nadal, Sharapova, Venus Williams and James Blake.
IMG also owns and manages many of the top tournaments like the Sony Ericsson Open and Australian Open and now they will represent Jelena Jankovic, the world number 1. She will be joining their modeling agency as well as giving them responsibility for all her management and promotion. She grew up training at IMG Sports Academy, curious why she hasn’t been offered this opportunity before now. Other changes in Jankovic’s life is her new clothing sponsor. Reebok has expired and the Chinese brand Li Ning didn't hesitate to pick her up. If that is indeed true, it would be a sure bet that this brand paid the most.


-News from the junior side is that Americans John Isner and Christina Mchale have earned wildcards into the Australian Open.
They both won a round robin play off hosted by the USTA.

Photos: Nadal and Federer in Qatar
http://crazyworldoftennis.blogspot.com/2009/01/new-hq-pic-of-rafa-and-roger-from-doha.html


If you have any questions regarding the charity, or how to donate tennis racquets, visit TennisRacquetsforKids.com

No comments: