Thursday, March 26, 2009

Federer to take on new role: fatherhood


Roger Federer just announced on his website that he is going to be a father.

"I also have some really awesome news to share with all of you: Mirka and I are excited to let you know that we will be parents this summer! Mirka is pregnant and we are so happy to be starting a family together. This is a dream come true for us. We love children and we are looking forward to being parents for the first time. Mirka is feeling great and everything is going well.

Speak soon and thanks for all your continued support!

Roger"

The fans and media didn't lose time getting worried that Roger's focus will shift from tennis. But he was quick to appease all by stating:

“I think in a way I always had the dream that once I became No. 1 in the world if I have a child I hope I have it early enough so he can see me playing. So this is very exciting. I think it’s not going to really disturb my mind-set on tennis a whole lot. I’ve always made sure that my schedule is (arranged with time to) get away from tennis a little but and then come back when I’m ready to play again. If it does something to me, I think it’s going to motivate me to play for a long time. For me, this is not a massive shock. But when it does happen (and) your girlfriend-wife is pregnant, it definitely changes your mind-set. All of a sudden you’re hoping everything goes well, whereas before you’re just joking about it. From that respect, I’m excited that the baby comes out healthy and everything goes OK. Other than that, it’s just happiness. And all the people around me, all the people I talk to, everybody is like, ‘Wow, it’s such great news.’ It’s a nice time. And yeah, the baby is due in summer. Summer is a big word, yeah. I’m not going to say anymore.”

Congratulations to the two of them. Who knows maybe there is continuation to Federer's greatness in junior Federer, but maybe not. Few kids of tennis greats take up the sport for one reason or another. Come to think of it, it is interesting why kids of tennis greats don't pursue tennis professionally. After all, they have ideal genetics for it. I think a big part of it is the pressure of being great, and impossible expectations.

Back on track regarding Federer, inspiration for Federer at this point might be exactly what he needs to reach new heights. The goal for his new child to see him on top may push him to further greatness-watch out world!

No comments: